Let’s play Petanque!
Welcome to Cobbetts Boules Club.Alison Stubbs, President
We play Petanque (also known as French Boules) all year round on our purpose-built terrains at Burridge Sports and Social Club near Southampton. New members are always welcome, from absolute beginners to seasoned champions. To find out more, click here.
Tuesday 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. and Saturday 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
Cobbetts Winter Indoor League
We are sorry to have to confirm that current government restrictions mean that we will be unable to run our Indoor League this year. This will probably not come as a surprise to anyone! We delayed this decision as long as possible, even holding a ‘plan B’ in reserve (to start the competition in January) but reluctantly we have come to the conclusion it just will not be possible this year. We want to thank everyone who has supported us in the past and very much hope to see you all there again next year.
Covid-19 (Updated 7th October)
|“Petanque England have updated their guidance following new clarification from Sport England. |
Affiliated clubs, leagues and regions can continue to play the sport outdoors provided that they follow the Guidelines. There is now no restriction on the number of players, spectators, volunteers and officials as long as a formal risk assessment has been carried out by the venue hosting those activities and the venue where pétanque is being played has the space/capacity to ensure social distancing at all times.
Visitors to clubhouses must wear face coverings except when seated at a table to eat or drink.”
This is subject to the following limitations and rules:
- The toilets can be accessed subject to a Cobbetts committee member being there to unlock. You must wear a face covering and use the hand sanitiser before entering the building.
- Games of singles, doubles or triples are now permitted as long as a distance of at least 2m is maintained between all players (except those from the same household).
- Each player may touch only their own boules and other equipment. Plastic circles must not be used.
- Scoreboards should only be used with disposable markers. Plastic straws have been provided.
- No physical contact, handshakes or ‘elbow bumps’
- Use must comply with Government guidance for use of outdoor areas for recreation and exercise.
- Members are also expected to be aware of Petanque England guidelines.
- These Temporary playing rules will be displayed at the club.
Members are free to access the site with members of their household or with up to 5 players from outside their household at any other time if they wish to do so. Any larger number would have to split into groups of 6 and not mix. If you unlock the gates please pull them closed behind you to deter public parking.
Upcoming club matches
- Tuesday, October 27th Club Night Melee
Latest club news
- Thursday, October 22nd SCPA Autumn Cup 2020 Quarter Final Cobbetts A v Muscliff Allsorts Won 5-0
- Sunday, October 18th Dave Lucas & Steve Lombard are runners-up in SCPA Winter Doubles. Dave Stubbs & Richard Greeves finish 5th. Report & Results
- Friday, October 16th Autumn Cup 2020 Cobbetts B v Portchester P & P (Away) Played at Burridge Won 5-0
- Friday, October 9th Autumn Cup 2020 Cobbetts B v Portchester P & P (Home) Lost 2-3
- Tuesday, October 6th Autumn Cup 2020 Cobbetts A v Shipmates (Away) Won 5-0
- Thursday, October 1st Friendly v Southampton City (Away) Won 5 Lost 3 Drawn 1
- Tuesday, September 29th First club night melee for 8 months is won by Mike Porter Results